Monday, February 3, 2014

Vimeo: Movie Storage Site

I've seen people post videos in Vimeo before, but never really thought about creating an account there.  After our district switched from GoToMeeting/GoToWebinar to Microsoft Lync (as part of the Office 365 package), I needed a place to store all of my self-produced professional development webinars (for the teachers in my district) from last school year.  I tried YouTube, SchoolTube, and TeacherTube, but it felt like something was missing, or I was concerned about privacy of the videos.  Then I remembered Vimeo.

I nosed around Vimeo and created myself a free account.  With the free account you get to upload 10 videos a week up to a maximum of 500 mb of storage space.  Each week, your account will refresh and you'll be able to upload another 10 videos.  For about $60 per year, I could upgrade and get unlimited uploads and remove banner ads for myself, or for about $200 I can upgrade to premium and remove banner ads for everyone.  I'm not sure I need to go that far.  It will take me 4 weeks to move all of my webinars over to Vimeo, but I think in the end I'll be happy with what I end up with.

I encourage you to give Vimeo a try.  If you like, you can even follow me, or like the videos that I don't password protect.


No comments:

Post a Comment