Thursday, March 28, 2013

Feedly & Prismatic: Alternatives to Google Reader

By now we all know Google Reader is shutting down.  This news prompted me to search for a replacement for all my news feeds.  I didn't have to wait long for suggestions with Twitter exploding with suggestions from people everywhere.  The general consensus seemed to be Feedly was the best alternative.

With this in mind, I checked into Feedly.  Overall, it was very easy to transfer my Google Reader feeds into Feedly.  Designwise, Feedly is looks much like Google Reader, but it also adds a snapshot of the feed (see below).
Like most Feed Readers, Feedly also has an iOS app (I don't have an Android so I'm not sure if there's an Android app).  The Feedly app puts Google Reader to shame.  For each feed, it will show you all of your unread feeds.  By doing a large left swipe across the screen you can easily mark them all as read.  If you swipe down, you can access the next page of articles (if there were more than what fits on the screen).  Feedly also offers a Save for Later option so I can go back and read the post later.  It's nice to have this all in one app.  We'll see if I choose to drop Pocket and start using Feedly.

Upon Tweeting that I was going to use Feedly, I received a reply from the Prismatic team asking me to give Prismatic a try.  Logging in and transferring my Google Reader feeds was simple enough, but Prismatic also assumed I wanted other items of interest such as assessment, textbooks, and other educational topics that might have something to do with what I'm following.  All it did was cause me more work to uncheck feeds I wasn't really interested in.  My other issue with Prismatic is that it doesn't show me my feeds on the main login screen.  I'm immediately shown the top news for some of the suggestions Prismatic made.  There is a Prismatic iOS app, but I didn't even bother downloading it because of the frustration I experienced with the web page.  For me, Prismatic has too many bells and whistles.  Sometimes simplicity is good enough.

I'm sure you've figured out by now that given these two choices, I'm going to go with Feedly.  For me, it's clearly the better option, particularly with the iPad app.  Try them both and and judge for yourself.  And remember, like Rushton Hurley said at the ISTE Leadership Forum, "It's okay to not like a tool."

No comments:

Post a Comment