Friday, May 10, 2013

The Power of a Twitter Hashtag

While discussing the pros and cons of using Twitter in the classroom with a group of teachers, one teacher, who's not a Twitter user...yet, asked me what a hashtag is and what its purpose is.  Of course, I explained all of this to the group, but upon reflecting on the conversation, I realized I have been missing an opportunity with Ed On Tech.  From this point forward I'll be adding the #edontech to all of my Tweets.

My recommendation to the teachers regarding hashtags was to develop a class hashtag and/or unit hashtags, and have students use that tag in all of their class tweets.  It not only makes the discussion easier to follow but also makes the conversation searchable.  Using the hashtags for class discussions removes the barrier of the school walls.  Students who are out sick or on vacation can still take part in the discussion.  Students who are shy and reluctant to raise their hand in class (I was one of those kids ) will participate in the the discussion.

Try it out in your classroom now so you can make adjustments over summer break.  See what the power of a Twitter hashtag can do to your classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment